Thoughts from my work with Freyr this evening:
- Freyr is generous.
- Freyr understands sacrifice–whether to do it; what kind is needed; how to prepare for it; how to do it; how to gracefully accept that which has been sacrificed; and how to heal up and live without it.
- Freyr does not care about how much a thing costs. He does not appreciate an extravagant meal any more than he appreciates a simple one, as long as it has been offered to him with intent. (So different from Freya! Freya will appreciate any gift, true–but she does notice and encourage high quality and poshness whenever possible. Goddess of gold, after all.)
- Freyr has absolute confidence in his ownership of a given thing. Complete and utter confidence. Unshakeable. Like, the thought that he would ever lose stewardship of something or someone once he has staked is claim does not appear to occur to him, possibly ever. (Maybe because he is a god of kingship??)
- Freyr is at one with the cycles of nature, and as such can be either calm and patient or dramatic and forceful, according to the land’s needs. (Unlike me, who, with my SAD and general dislike of change, has been at odds with the seasons for decades now.)
- And Freyr is not so much with the verbal, which once I got used to it, is totally fine by me. He’s possibly the least likely deity to try to trick someone by catching them in a terminology trap of some kind (unlike, say, Hermes or Odin). And that’s a relief. I’ve always been more of a “big concept” kind of girl.
- He’s also really earthy, which again is cool. And He feels very much like most of the Freyrspeople I’ve ever run into, young or old, male or female–just moreso.
- Oh, yeah, and I’m claimed by Him–like, eons ago, apparently. As if I was supposed to know this.
And I’ve been given the rough draft of a tattoo, likely for dedication purposes. I’m pretty sure it’s already been applied on spiritual body, though (long story). And given the location on my body that it got applied, I’ve taken to calling it my Freyr Stamp.
*sigh* Fertility gods. Whatcha gonna do? GO TEAM VANIR.